We’re now a few days into the new year and I have yet to put into place my goals for the year and begin working towards them. Today I thought I’d share with you my goals for the upcoming year in the hopes that by the end of the year, I can do a post looking back and crossing off quite a few or have made significant progress with.
BE MORE CREATIVE
1) Write more; both blog posts and getting back into fictional writing, snippets/character descriptions I may possibly post on here for feedback.
2) Take more photographs; I was going to force myself to doing a post every day in 2017 on my Instagram, but I realised my life is too boring for that and I don’t really have much to share. I want to get back out there and taking photographs of the world around me so I have some digital memories of the year.
3) Start making videos; as you may or may not know I recently graduated university where I studied Television Production. In an effort to keep creating and learning new skills, I want to make videos this year, whether that be short films, random shots from places I visit or vlogs. I am going to VidCon in Amsterdam this year so would like to have the confidence to vlog whilst I’m there but since I’m going alone, I don’t know how that one will pan out.
LEARN NEW THINGS
1) Play guitar; I learnt basics in primary school between the ages of 8 and 11 but once I went to high school I stopped. I have tried self teaching myself in the past but always given up because it’s too hard. This year I want to make an effort to teach myself and keep going no matter how hard it gets. Quitters don’t get far in life.
2) Play keyboard; when I was in high school, playing keyboard was compulsory in from the ages of 11 to 14. I really enjoyed playing and went as far as asking for a keyboard off my parents. It now lies behind the sofa because a) I have no space to keep it out permanently and b) I just stopped wanting to play. Like the guitar, I really want to teach myself because I feel like music is therapeutic and playing an instrument is calming.
3) To drive; at 21 I feel like most people my age can drive and have been able to drive for over 3 years now. I wish I’d started learning when I was in college but I was always ‘too busy’ when truthfully, I wasn’t busy at all. I was just putting it off. Now I’ve limited myself to job searches within a certain distance that I can travel to via train.
4) Knitting; I started learning how to knit either last year or the year before and I just stopped (can you see a pattern here). Even though it’s probably considered as something your Nan would do, I really want to get back into it and be able to make things. My goal is to be able to and actually make something simple by the end of the year.
1) Full time job; As I mentioned a few points ago, I am searching for full time jobs after graduating. I don’t know exactly what kind of job I’m looking for and every job I have seen that sounds interesting, I always feel like I’m not qualified enough so don’t even bother applying. This year I will be looking for jobs more regularly and actually applying for them no matter how under qualified I may feel.
2) Goal job; I know what my end goal career-wise is and if I could do it now, I would. I just don’t have the money to get started. I need to keep working hard, looking for higher paid jobs so I can save enough money faster and make my dream a reality as soon as possible.
1) See new places; travelling is a goal for most people and money is the biggest reason people don’t travel. Although it would be nice to visit exotic places, travelling can start a lot closer to home for a lot lower cost. Things like Airbnb mean that you can find great places to stay for a night or two in a brand new place. I’ve bookmarked a few places I’d love to go and stay in and even though they’re still in the UK, they can still be just as fun as going abroad.
1) Improve posture; I have really bad posture, both seated and standing, and I really need to fix that. I know why I slouch, it’s because it’s comfier and whilst it may be comfortable in the moment, in years to come it won’t be. I already have a bad back and I don’t want to make it any worse. I don’t have the best work station at the moment, but hopefully in the near future I will be fixing that and hopefully that will improve the way I sit. As for standing posture, I need to extend my shoulders more and try to keep my back straight.
2) Take a break from the world; sometimes the world can be overwhelming. Technology dictates our lives and we can’t function without a good wifi signal. I’d really love to take a break from all of that and get away to somewhere remote where there is no phone signal or wifi, somewhere I can relax without any distractions.
3) Be more active; let’s be real, this one shouldn’t be too difficult considering how un active I am currently. I really want to be able to go for a run without getting out of breath after a couple of minutes. Yes exercise sucks, but it benefits you in the long road so I’m definitely going to attempt to be more active.
4) Read 8 books; I know that may not seem like many but I’m not really a fast reader and I only got back into reading a couple of years ago. I also have no designated time slot for reading so I will try and allot at least half an hour a day to reading, most probably before bed.
5) Move out; after spending 3 years living parent free, moving back in with them isn’t the greatest feeling in the world. I feel as though all my independence has been taken away from me and I’m back to being a child again having to ask permission to do things. I know realistically this probably won’t happen, but you never know what can happen.
I’ve only been blogging for a couple of months but I’ve been pleasantly surprised with all the support I’ve received over this time, especially considering most of my posts have been random blogmas posts and not actual content I had planned on writing. Here are just a few things that I would like to achieve by next year, however I won’t be disappointed if I don’t achieve them.
1) Reach 1,000 views; in the couple of months I had been blogging in 2016 (November and December) my blog reached 256 views, so I’m hoping that my goal of 1,000 by 2017 won’t be too difficult if I keep doing what I’m doing and make sure I have regular posts of a good quality.
2) Reach 300 visitors; in 2016 my blog had 133 different visitors so again, I’m hoping my goal of 300 is realistic.
3) Reach 100 followers on WordPress; I don’t have many followers currently but I’m hoping that now I will be publishing actual posts and not just blogmas posts, that people will be interested in hearing more from me and my content.
4) Reach 100 followers on Instagram; even on my personal Instagram I don’t have many followers. I don’t really post regularly because I have nothing to post however if I keep to my goal of taking more photographs, hopefully I can upload them to my Instagram and gain followers.
5) Reach 500 followers on Twitter; I feel like it’s easier to gain followers on Twitter and my follow count is slowly increasing so hopefully one day I’ll reach my goal of 500.
These are just a few of my goals for 2017. What are your 2017 goals? I’d love to hear what everyone wants to achieve. Lets make 2017 our year!
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT ALL MY SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS